Gingerbread cake or cookies are definitely an inseparable part of Christmas time. Spicy smell quickly spreads over the entire house and the ideal Christmas atmosphere is there.
This is a recipe for a traditional Polish gingerbread cake. Between the layers you will find jam, on top of the cake is a chocolate glaze and last but not least, there are crunchy walnuts😋
- 550g flour
- 250g powdered sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 250g butter
- 100ml cream cca. 30% (optional)
- 4 tbsp browned honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- jam (plum, orange)
- chopped nuts
the chocolate glaze:
- 100 – 150g chocolate
- 40g butter
- Place honey, sugar and butter in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until sugar melts. Let it cool.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: flour, powdered sugar, whole eggs, baking soda (it may be dissolved in the cream), cinnamon and clove. Whisk them together until you get a smooth batter.
- Now you can choose from two options:
- Either you can split the batter into 3 cake tins and bake them already separated, or you can use just 1 cake tin and then slice the cake into 3 layers (in this case you have to wait until the cake cools completely). Before using, grease the cake tins and line them with baking parchment.
- Prepare the chocolate glaze – melt butter and gradually add chopped chocolate. Cook until smooth consistency.
- Spread the jam over the two cake layers (the bottom layer and the top layer). Sprinkle with chopped nuts (you can also use dried fruit if you wish).
- The layers should be like that: the bottom cake layer – jam and chopped nuts – the medium cake layer – jam and chopped nuts – the top cake layer.
- Pour over the chocolate glaze (it should cover the entire cake). Decorate with walnuts.
I know it seems complicated but it’s simply delicious. I believe this unique cake will easily enchant your family or friends on Christmas Eve😉