Have you ever heard of the seasonal eating?
In my opinion it´s becoming a new lifestyle, which I truly appreciate.
The main purpose is to eat what grows and is ready for eating at a specific period of the year in a specific place. For instance it could be strawberries in June in Poland.
Below are the reasons, why you should consider seasonal eating. I also gave some examples of seasonal food in different months of the year.
- AVAILABILITY: Seasonal food is usually not difficult to find. I love going to local markets. I meet people who are enthusiastic about their products and I know they growed them with love.
- PRICE: When something is less rare, it’s always also less expensive. When there’s a lot of strawberries, I believe it won’t be so difficult to find ones with a reasonable and affordable price.
- SPARES OUR ENVIROMENT: When we buy something what grew in our country (the best is when we have access to food from the nearest location to our house), we save our planet! Maybe these words sound exaggerated, but in fact, we do indeed, because the food didn’t have to make a big journey to end in our bags and this means: less fuel used and almost no pollution to our environment.
- NO SUPPLEMENTS, REAL VITAMINS: Especially people in Poland love to load themselves with various supplements – for skin, nails, hair… whatever. But isn’t it easier to eat food rich in all the vitamins and minerals we need? Seasonal food is the best source of them – minimal chemical additives. (Did you know that strawberries which we have in winter never had a chance to become red naturally?)
- SUPER DELICIOUS: Last but definitely not least – the flavor! I’m speaking from my own experiences. Nothing compares to the vegetables and fruits I grow in my kitchen garden.
Here is the list of most common products in different months of the year. Below the list you will find photos of meals, which I cooked from seasonal products. ALL recipes mentioned are in the FOOD section.
JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, APRIL
Fruits: apples, pears, grapefruits, oranges, mandarines
Vegetables: potatoes, carrot, lettuce, cauliflower, brocolli
Fruits: rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, apricots, nectarine
Vegetables: asparagus, green beans
Fruits: blackberries, blueberries, wild strawberries, black/red currant, gooseberry, sour/sweet cherry
Vegetables: broad beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn
Fruits: mirabelle plums, plums
Vegetables: zucchini, rucola
SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, NOVEMBER
Fruits: apples, pears, plums, apricots, raspberries, cranberries, figs, nuts
Vegetables: pumpkins, mushrooms, zucchini
Fruits: apples, pears, grapefruits, oranges, mandarines, chestnuts, figs, dates
So hurry! Summer offers loads of delicious fruits and vegetables!